By Laws & Constitution
Revised in 2001
I. The name of this Association shall be the Hudson Valley Library Association (HVLA). The purpose of the HVLA shall be to consider and discuss mutual library interests of independent schools within the geographical area including New York City, Long Island, Westchester, and nearby New Jersey and Connecticut.
A. Individual membership shall be open to all library personnel.III. Officers
B. Dues and guest fees shall be set by the board, in consultation with the membership. They shall be revised according to the needs of the organization as reflected in decisions by the board.
A. The officers shall be a President, two Vice Presidents (preferably representing different grade levels), a Recording/Corresponding Secretary, a Membership Coordinator, a Treasurer and a Communications Coordinator.
B. The officers shall serve in a single capacity for a term of two years. Of the seven officers, four (the President, the First Vice-President, the Membership Coordinator and the Communications Coordinator) shall be elected in one year, and three (the Second Vice-President, the Recording Secretary, and Treasurer) in the alternate year.
C. Officers shall be elected at the final meeting of the school year by a simple majority of members present and voting.
D. If the President is unable to complete his/her full term, the Vice President with the longest service will become President. The Vice Presidential vacancy and all other premature vacancies shall be filled by a special election at the next regular meeting of the Association. The new officer shall fill out the remainder of the term vacated.
E. The new officers shall be installed and take over their duties as the last item of business during the final meeting of the school year.
F. The duties of the officers shall be as follows:
1. The President shall conduct all meetings; be the official speaker or contact person for the Association; guide the Association in all matters; delegate suitable authority to the other officers; and carry out the will of the membership.
2. The Vice Presidents shall act as program chairmen; set up programs for all meetings; conduct meetings in the absence of the President; and perform all duties specifically allotted to them.
3. The Recording/Corresponding Secretary shall be responsible for recording minutes of the meetings; maintaining current and past records; distributing to the membership minutes of the past meetings, announcements of forthcoming meetings, annual membership lists and information concerning membership renewal and dues payment.
4. The Membership Coordinator is responsible for compiling and duplicating an up-to-date membership list and mailing labels; and promoting HVLA to current or inactive members.
5. The Treasurer shall have custody and keep accurate records of the Associations funds. A Treasurer'' written report shall be presented at each meeting. The Treasurer shall provide membership and dues payment information to the Secretaries for the compilation of the membership list.
6. The Communications Coordinator shall be responsible for the editing, compilation, and duplication of the HVLA Newsletter; maintaining the HVLA website and listserv.
IV. Committees and Special Assignments
A. A Nominating Committee of three members shall be named by the President at the next-to-last meeting of the school year. The President shall be an ex-officio member of this committee. Nominations from the floor will also be permitted.
B. Other committees may be appointed by any of the officers as needed.
B. One half plus one of the members present shall constitute a simple majority.
C. All matters not provided for in the Constitution and Bylaws shall be decided by a vote of the membership at the regular meetings, a special meeting, or by mail. A simple majority shall carry the vote.
D. In all parliamentary matters Robert's Rules of Order shall be the final arbiter.